Friday 19 December 2008

18th Birthday or Some People Pierce Eybrows

So, day before yesterday I turned eighteen. It was awesome. I woke up to a lovely breakfast with cake and tea and candles and presents. I went to school and everyone greeted me and sang for me. ('Zum Geburtstag viel Glück') It was awesome, I was in such a good mood. They're so sweet. The rest of the day was about as good or at least loud and eventful.

In the afternoons I have sewing class for the next three weeks and I decided that I wanted to sew myself a jacket. The begining of this week I was super productive and I worked on my pattern and cut it out. Yesterday was my first day on the sewing machine. But I kept switching machines because the one wouldn't work, and then the other wouldn't work. Finally I'm content and I settle down to work on my sewing exercises. A spiral, working from the outside in. It's tough.
But all of a sudden I felt pain. Kind of a stabbing pain in my left thumb. Unknowingly, I pressed a more on the foot pedal and then I realized that the sewing needle was in my thumb. That hurt a little, but really it just looked ridiculous. Ridiculous, bizarre, hilarious, all of it.
But I couldn't move or speak. There was a sewing needle in my thumb. All the way through. I screamed a little. Kind of a wordless animalistic wail and then the teacher came.And they did, of course. And the sewing teacher freed me from the machine, needle and all and then we walked to the front of the school where the ambulance was waiting.
I probably didn't need an ambulance, but I was doing the whole thing where I was laughing and crying at the same time. Really I just wanted to laugh because it was all so bizarre, it looked like a horror film, but then there were tears and then it was all just so confusing. Difficult to speak proper german.
But then again I was a little frustrated with myself because I just got finshed with my knees that I had skinned two weeks ago as I was running to catch the school bus and then that happens that I get a sewing needle through my thumb. How lame is that? Rediculous. It looked so extreme.
The hospital was clean and almost empty, I was immediately attended to by a very nice nurse and doctor together. It was great. A very positive hospital experience. They took my x-rays and i didn't hit bone, thank goodness.

In the evening I had an surprise birthday dinner with my extended hostfamily. We ate Raclette or Raqulette or however that is spelled with veggies and meat and potatoes. After dinner I took my pain medication and went to sleep. A lovely evening.

The day day was surprise number two. Number one was surprise family party. Number two was surprise birthday dinner with friends. In all my life I hadn't ever had a surprise party, and this year I had two! What an awesome host family I have. It's crazy. But I probably wouldn't have gone to the trouble to make a party otherwise. My good friend Elaine from Philomath was there and also my friend Lydia who was in America last year on exchange. Svenja came with and we watched Little Miss Sunshine in german. That movie is soo hilarious. So funny!

Monday I have plans to go to the disco with friends from my class. It's what all the cool kids do. I haven't been yet, I hope it'll be fun. Okay, I'm pretty sure it'll be fun.

Thumb Update: Doesn't hurt at all, unless I try to use it. Awesome, totally not as dramatic as I thought it would be. Super.

Emma

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Emma -- belated Happy Birthday. This is the first year in the last 16 that I haven't been able to personally speak with you on the phone to wish you a happy birthday. From the sounds of your blog it sounds like you had a memorable, electrifying and obviously unforgettable 18th birthday. So happy to hear that you are having the time of your life. Enjoy every single moment while you can. These memories that you are creating will last you a lifetime.

Love to you always,
Linda