- Cake really can be a meal! We have cake as a meal for every Sunday lunch.
- There is a German concept of cold meals and warm meals. One should eat a warm meal everyday, but probably no more than that.
- For the other meals there'S BREAD!
- Did you know that Germany has the most types of bread in the world? Wow, cool huh.
- One can put cheese or salami or wurst on bread for a savory treat
- Or one can choose from Nutella, many different types of marmalades/jams/jellies/honey for a delicious breakfast.
- One may have a sweet or savory breakfast, but one may not have a sweet dinner. It just isn't done.
- We enjoy very little napkin usage here. Only during formal meals and then sparingly. Germans shouldn't need them, supposedly.
- It is impolite to eat improperly and if you eat messily, you might be looked down upon.
- There is a right way to use a fork and knife. Many Germans use knives when they really aren't neccessary because then it is all a bit more orderly.
- My host mother was shocked when I told her that sometimes people in America use their hands to put for on the fork. Mostly just nudges here and there, but in Germany that would be a shocking occurance because they all use their knives.
- Always the hands on the table. Who knows what might be going on where we can't see....
- But not the elbows or the forearmson the table.
- Always knive in the right hand and fork in the left hand. A person needs two hands to eat.
- When you're finished, you put both the fork and the knife together on the plate on the right side at approximately 3 o'clock position.
- If you're not finished, lay the knife on the right and fork on the left, but only so that the mesy part is on the plate. The handle should be on the table.
I can't get over it. I still think it's crazy. But it just is so, here. And it pleases me.
Til then. I love you!
3 comments:
Now, see? Most of that I remember from growing up. I suspect it has been leached away little by little ever since Killian came over from Germany.
It is soooooo hard to find good bread here. I envy you that.
Missing you.
Aunt Sue
Know how to upset Germans? Take an unruly 1.5 year old to a fine restaurant. Guess how I know? Now, after your post I understand why a bit better. Thanks for all this info!
Aunt Cris
Emma, I just read all of your blogs. I feel like I'm in Germany with you. I can hardly wait to see pictures of every place you've been. I LOVED your picture in Washington DC -- you look so happy. As for the bread, it would be hard for me to keep away from it, especially the pumpernickle and ryes. Bread is my downfall. Keep writing as I love everything you've said so far.
Miss you and love you.
Linda
Post a Comment